Friday, June 05, 2009

Callous Crow

I was baking cookies this afternoon and I could hear squawking and tweeting by our robin family outside. I looked up and saw a big, ugly, black crow flying away from the nest with TWO baby birds in its beak. I hurried outside to scare the crow away and hopefully save the baby birds. Unfortunately, he flew away, with the bird parents hot on his tail. I ran back to the nest to see if any birds were left. There was one, but it was already dead.

I KNOW that this is nature and everything, and I KNOW that I shouldn't feel this way, but I was SO mad at that rotten bird! How DARE he come in and steal all of our babies out of the nest! How DARE he take the opportunity to watch baby birds grow up and learn to fly away from my kids? I was literally angry for awhile, then my logical side (small as it may be) helped me to see reason.

It reminded me of watching nature shows with the kids. One week, we watched a show on lions and they kids were all ooohing and aaahhing over the lions cubs and cheering them on as they caught small game, then larger game. The next week, we watched a show about gazelles and all of the sudden the lion became the bad guy. So there you have it. It all depends on your point of view.

I can say that right now.....I wish I owned a gun. I would "take care" of Mr. Crow. Or, at the very least, scare the feathers off of him. I think my "momma bear" (or "momma bird", as the case may be) is showing.......:-)

4 comments:

happygeek said...

I can totally see you, right from your kitchen window, blazing away at that crow.
Maybe Anthony will get you one for your birthday!

dawn said...

That is so sad and you are right, it is all about perspective. I usually feel sorry for the underdog though, unless it is mosquitoes.

beth said...

Rotten crow! I know it's nature - but so cruel!

Alyson and Ford said...

So sad, even though that is nature. I would rather not see it in real-life! Too much of a softy.
We had a snake ruin our spring time baby bird watching one year....

Alyzabeth's Mommy for Eight Months